Romford today is worlds away from the Romford captured in photos at the end of the 19th century.
The camera was invented just before the Victorian era, and the earliest photos of Romford were therefore captured during this time.
From skating on lakes to cleaning out moats, these unique photographs show what the Victorians were up to in Romford.
Rare photos of the Victorian era in Romford
Tollgate or Turnpike Gate, Market Place - c.1865
This "rare" photograph captures the toll gate on the main London to Norwich turnpike road in Romford, likely taken shortly before its removal.
The turnpike system, established in the 17th century to maintain roads funded by tolls, made Romford a coaching town but also led to grievances over excessive toll charges and frequent highwayman attacks, according to Havering Libraries.
By the mid-19th century, with railways emerging as a dominant mode of transport, the Middlesex and Essex Turnpike Trust opted to discontinue tolls, culminating in the auction of toll houses in 1866.
Market day, Market Place - 1880s
This photo of Romford Market from the 1880s shows several key landmarks, including The Dolphin Inn, which closed in 1890 and The Cock and Bell Inn.
At the head of the market stands Laurie Hall, while a stall selling ladders in front of St Edward's Church can been seen on the left hand side.
READ MORE: PHOTOS: How Romford Market has changed over the years
According to Havering Libraries, the photo captures an unseen event that has drawn the attention of children, adults, and even a policeman, all gathered around a stallholder in a hat (centre bottom).
East side of Mawneys, now Linden Street - 1883
In 1883, workers were photographed cleaning out the moat on the east side of Mawneys, which is now Linden Street in Romford.
Originally dating back to the 13th century as Romford Manor and later named after Lord Walter De Manny, Mawneys retained its moated structure even as it evolved into a farm in the 19th century.
Although the estate was sold for housing development that year, the farmhouse remained until 1935, with historical records capturing details of the site and those who worked there.
South Street - late 1890s
This late 1890s photograph of South Street, Romford, captures a time when the area was still dominated by the Romford Brewery.
Soon after, this part of South Street would transform into a bustling shopping area, signalled by a sign announcing the upcoming construction of a London & Provincial Bank branch.
READ MORE: Vintage buses from Romford's past in photos, 1920s to 1982
The bank would later became part of Barclays after World War I.
Skating on Black's Canal, Raphael Park - 1890s
This 1890s photograph captures skaters on Black's Canal, now part of Raphael Park in Romford.
Named after Alexander Black, a former owner of Gidea Hall, the canal drew large crowds despite frequent reports of broken bones from skaters testing the ice’s thickness, according to Havering Libraries.
Comments: Our rules
We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused.
Please report any comments that break our rules.
Read the rules hereLast Updated:
Report this comment Cancel